Friday, January 28, 2011

Day One


(Day one consists of a 5 minute brisk warm-up walk, jog for 60 seconds, walk for 90, then repeat the jog/walk cycle for 20 minutes. I did an extra 2 minutes, 37 seconds just so I could burn 200 calories today.)

Today was the first day of the "Couch to 5K" program. Let's start from the beginning, shall we?

Carter has been sick. So has my mom. And because of this, we made a trip to visit Dr. Ransom this morning. We got Carter some antibiotics, as well as Grammy, and visited for a minute. He asked if we had any other questions about anything else. I did.

You know those commercials (or ads you see) about exercise programs? And then at the bottom in teeny-tiny print it says consult your doctor before you start any exercise regimine? Well, I decided to take their advice and consult my doctor.

"What do you think the chances are of me breaking a hip if I try to run a 5k?"

Dr Ransom (with a frowny face on): "Well, I can't DISCOURAGE you, but I wouldn't recommend it. But, I could meet you at the finish line with a stretcher." He seriously said that. I suggested maybe a wheelchair instead- that would be less embarrassing.

He then told us about his daughter slipping and breaking her ankle. I think he was trying to scare me.

Anyway, I'm still going to do it. I can't live every day in fear of a broken bone, right? Plus, he REALLY would have had a heart attack if I would have told him about my ski-trip plans in a year.

So, after consulting my Dr., and him being put on the record as not totally approving of it, I decided to begin the program. Day number 1. Let me tell you, I wanted to die. I'm sure bajillions of people have done this program, it even says as much on their website. And I'm at least SOME were in worse shape than I am, but holy cow. How do people run? I felt like all of my joints had glass in them! And body parts were flapping here and there (not a pretty picture, I know, trust me). And I was gasping. And sweating. And cursing. But I made it. Without even cheating.

I credit Day one to the Black Eyed Peas. And the fact that tomorrow is an off day.

No comments: